Holidays with Seniors: Tis the Season to be Safe
The holidays are such a joyous time with family gatherings and colorful decorations. But crowded homes, strings of lights, and all the extras that go with the holiday season can create safety hazards for older adults who have sight or mobility issues. The holiday menu should also be kept under consideration, as many seniors have dietary restrictions. If you celebrate this time of year with older adults, enjoy a safe and happy holiday season with these simple safety tips:
- Use simple decorations that won’t cause clutter. Make sure there is plenty of room for the senior to walk.
- Keep extension cords out of the way to prevent tripping.
- Make sure all areas of the home are well lit when seniors are visiting.
- Add a night light in the guest room, hallways, and bathrooms.
- Make sure light switches are easily accessible.
- Consult with the senior before planning the menu to find out if he or she has any special dietary needs.
- Monitor alcohol intake or avoid it altogether, as it can have unwanted reactions with a senior’s medications.
Keep the holidays jolly and safe this season, and be sure to evaluate any additional care needs that your older loved ones might have. For more tips on how to create a safe atmosphere for seniors or for information on in-home care services, contact Partners in HealthCare in Orlando, FL at 888-668-9393.