The Perfect Holiday Caregiver: It’s all a state of mind
December 8, 2010
The holidays are always a wonderful time of year for family gatherings, reflection on what we have and the spirit of giving. The television is packed with specials showing relationships and families coming together for the holidays.
But the holidays can also be a time of stress and sadness for those who are caring for family members that are struggling with health problems, frailty, dementia and loss. Those who care for these individuals may feel overwhelmed, frustrated, depressed or resentful as they watch “perfect” families enjoying the holidays. There are many surveys and documents that show that caregivers are highly susceptible to these feelings. If you are a caregiver, there are measures you can take to avoid this.
First; Remember, that you are not alone.
If you are new to caregiving or have been caring for someone for a very long time, remember that the perfect family on television is not reality for many Americans. You are not the only one with these challenges. A recent study by the National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP found that 44.4 million Americans age 18 or older are providing unpaid care to an adult. In fact according to the survey provided by the National Family Caregivers Association:
- The typical caregiver is a 46-year-old Baby Boomer woman with some college education who works and spends more than 20 hours per week caring for her mother who lives nearby.
- Female caregivers provide more hours of care and provide a higher level of care than male caregivers.
- Almost seven in ten 69%) caregivers say they help one person.
- The average length of caregiving is 4.3 years.
- Many caregivers fulfill multiple roles. Most caregivers are married or living with a partner (62%), and most have worked and managed caregiving responsibilities at the same time (74%).
….continue reading from longtermcarelink.net.
The caring home care professionals at Partners in Healthcare are available to speak with your family about all of your home care needs, including how to reduce caregiver stress while providing affordable, quality care to your loved one. Partners in Healthcare is a home care agency providing home care in Orlando FL and surrounding areas.