Tips for Seniors: 5 Ways to Freshen the House for Spring
After a long winter with the windows shut and the fire going, the house can feel a little like a cave. Spring is often thought to be a time for cleaning, but there are other easy ways to bring a fresh new feeling into your house. Here are 5 Ways to Freshen the House for Spring should you or your family need help call the nurses at Partners in Healthcare.
- Simplify your décor and put away the dust collectors. Certainly, there are some knick-knacks and collectible items you love to display, but over the years, it’s easy to collect items you don’t really care about. These items can make cleaning and dusting more difficult. Try to simplify the look of your space by putting away some things you’re tired of. You might find you’re glad to see them go, and you can always pull them back out from storage.
- Tell your rugs to beat it. Area rugs and floor mats are one of the major causes of falls among seniors who live at home. It’s too easy for your foot to catch the corner of a rug. On top of that, these rugs collect lots of dust and dander over the years that can make allergies even worse, especially during the spring when allergies are at their peak.
- Bring in flowers or air fresheners. Flowers can be a wonderful way to brighten up a room, but they can also bring in pollen and other allergens. An air reed diffuser or plug-in air freshener can be a sneeze-free strategy for bringing a whiff of floral freshness into your house.
- Replace window treatments. Heavy curtains have a way of bringing down the brightness in a room. If there is a room in your house that feels dark or dim, you might consider replacing older curtains with new window treatments, such as roman shades, which allow lots of light in, but rotate easily to provide full privacy when you need it. More light in a room will also help you to see as you move about the house.
- Rearrange your furniture. Sometimes, change can be a good thing. If your furniture has been sitting in place for years, it might be hard to see the potential opportunities you’ve been missing to open up your space, or remove obstructions from major pathways in your house. Call upon a friend to help you shift some of your furniture around. Sometimes even a small change can make a whole room feel like new.
The nurses at Partners in Healthcare are available to talk with you about how t spruce up your home with RN managed affordable care. We are a personal home care agency that provides elder home care serves in the Orlando area, call us at 407-788-9393.